Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Felt Board: The Very Hungry Caterpillar




The felt board Aurora and I made for The Very Hungry Caterpillar (by Eric Carle, 1969) is one of our oldest and most successful felt projects.  We have used it to learn counting, colors, days of the week, metamorphosis, and, now, addition. 

Learning basic addition has gone the course of so many other concepts I introduce to my itty bitty; Aurora understands the idea so quickly that I wonder why I did not begin it sooner.    I began it a week ago with crackers.  I asked Aurora how many crackers she would like, but I would give her a couple less and ask her how many more were required to reach her desired amount.  Next thing I know she is suggesting number combinations (“Two and two is four, Mom”) and calling me over to confirm her recount each time she subtracted/ate another cracker. 

The play with The Very Hungry Caterpillar felts was significant because this was her first time bringing up addition of her own accord.  Clever girl.  Shifting through the pile of felt pieces, she carefully counted out the required fruits for each page and called attention to the remaining number needed make the total.  After they were all accounted for, she placed each piece neatly in a row that wrapped round the board. 


Occasionally, Adeline would try to take a piece (to try to eat it, of course), but this simply gave a reason for Aurora to bring up subtraction…
and a reason for Aurora to giggle…
and then motivation for Aurora to pretend to eat all the felt food..
which gave cause for Adeline to giggle!